ASTLEY ABBOT'S, Shropshire"ASTLEY ABBOT'S, a parish in the hundred of Stottesdon, in the county of Salop, 2 miles to the N. of Bridgnorth, its post town. It is situated on the western bank of the river Severn. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, in the patronage of T. Whitmore, Esq. There are charitable endowments amounting to £11 per annum. Stanley Hall, the seat of Sir H. T. Tyrwhitt, Bart., stands on a fine wooded hill, overlooking a district of great beauty. From the lofty tower the prospect extends southward to the Malvern Hills in Worcestershire, and northward to the Wrekin. Astley Abbot's House is the residence of T. Whitmore, Esq."
by Colin Hinson ©2012
- A transcript of the AstleyAbbots parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the AstleyAbbots parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,