Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"BROSELEY, a parish and market town in the franchise or borough of Wenlock, in the county of Salop, 4 miles to the E. of Much Wenlock, 13 miles to the S.E. of Shrewsbury, and 142 miles to the N.W. of London. The Severn Valley railway, which is now completed, passes through the lower part of the parish. It is situated on the W. bank of the river Severn, in a district abounding in iron and coal, and a few years since was a very flourishing place, chiefly owing to the extensive manufacture of iron; but of all the blast furnaces in operation then, not one exists now. The town is irregularly built, and extends westward from the river about 2 miles. It has one principal street, and is lighted with gas. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the numerous coal-mines, and in the manufacture of the superior glazed tobacco-pipes for which Broseley has long been celebrated. Brick and tile-making is also carried on to a considerable extent. The encaustic tile works of Messrs. Maw are partly in this parish. There is a townhall, with a market-house and a small prison connected with it. The news-rooms and library are situated in High-street, and form part of this building. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, of the value with that of Linley united, of £452, in the gift of Lord Forester. It is at present held by the Rev. B. H. Cobbold, M.A., late Archdeacon of Ningpo, China. The church, a stone structure in the perpendicular style, with a beautiful square tower, is dedicated to All Saints. It was rebuilt in 1845, at a cost of £9,000, being almost entirely defrayed by voluntary contributions. The district of Backfield, consisting of that part of the parish of Broseley which lies on the right bank of the Severn, was formed into a separate ecclesiastical district in 1862; and a church is in course of erection to the memory of G. Pritchard, Esq., late high sheriff of Salop. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £50, in the gift of F. B. Harries, Esq. The Baptists, Wesleyans, Independents, and Primitive Methodists have chapels in the town. There are National and infant schools. The schoolhouse is a handsome brick building in the Elizabethan style of architecture, erected in 1854 at a cost of £1,600. In 1711 a spring of petroleum was discovered near Broseley, which at one time yielded several barrels of oil daily. It almost entirely disappeared on the sinking of a coal-pit near the spot about 1755. The market is on Wednesday, and fairs are held on the last Tuesday in April and the 28th October.
COALPORT, a village in the parish of Broseley, in the county of Salop, 13 miles S.E. of Shrewsbury. It is situated on the Severn, and contains a large china factory.
COLEBROOKDALE, a hamlet in the parish of Broseley, in the county of Salop, 1 mile N. of Broseley. It is situated on the river Severn, under the Wrekin, and is rich in iron, coal, limestone, and other minerals. The glen is crossed by a handsome cast-iron bridge, erected in 1779. It has a span of 100 feet, with a rise of 40 feet, and weighs 380 tons.
JACKFIELD, a populous district and chapelry in the parish and borough of Broseley, county Salop, 1 mile N.E. of Broseley. It extends along the bank of the river Severn, which separates it from Madeley. The village is chiefly built on elevated ground overlooking Iron Bridge and a part of Coalbrookdale. The manufacture of bricks and tiles is extensively carried on, and quantities of ironstone are calcined and transmitted down the river to Stourport. The living is a perpetual curacy value £109. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a red brick structure, with a square tower containing one bell. Divine service is also performed in the evenings in the National school, which was erected in 1844."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868] by Colin Hinson ©2015
The transcription of the Parish Registers for Broseley provided by Mel Lockie. Added 24 Nov 2009. The transcription of the Non-Conformist Register for Broseley Birch Meadow Chapel provided by Mel Lockie. Added 17 June 2011.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Broseley which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ672019 (Lat/Lon: 52.613850, -2.485878), Broseley which are provided by: