Link to maps of Burford

BURFORD, Shropshire

"BURFORD, a parish in the hundred of Overs, in the county of Salop, 1 mile to the W. of Tenbury, 5 miles from Wooferton railway station, and 82 miles from Ludlow. It is situated on the confines of Worcestershire, on the banks of the river Teme, near the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, and contains the townships of Boraston, Burford, Greet, Nash, Stoke, Tilsop, Weston, Whatmore, and Whitton. It was formerly a market town under a grant obtained from Henry III. The parish is crossed by the Kington canal, and is partly laid out in hop-grounds. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, in three portions: the first, value with the perpetual curacies of Boraston and Nash, 1460; the second, value with the perpetual curacy of Whitton, 2286; and the third, value £335, all in the patronage of Lord Northwick. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains a brass and several monuments to the Cornwalls, who long had their seat hero. Besides the parish church there are two chapels of ease, viz., Boraston and Nash; also two schools, one at Burford and the other at Nash. The parochial charities are worth £10 a year. Burford House is the chief residence."

"BORASTON, (or Buraston), a township in the parish of Burford, hundred of Overs, in the county of Salop, 1 mile from Tenbury.

"GREET, a township in the parish of Burford, hundred of Overs, county Salop, 1 mile S.E. of the above. It is situated on the river Teme,"

"NASH, a township in the parish of Burford, hundred of Overs, county Salop, 2 miles N. by E. of Tenbury, its post town. Together with Tilsop and Weston it forms a chapelry. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Burford, in the diocese of Hereford."

"STOKE, a township in the parish of Burford, hundred of Over, county Salop, 3 miles N.W. of Tenbury."

"TILSOP, a township in the parish of Burford, hundred of Overs, county Salop, 4 miles S.W. of Cleobury-Mortimer, on a branch of the river Teme."

"WESTON, a chapelry in the parish of Burford, hundred of Overs, county Salop, 5 miles S.E. of Ludlow, and 2 N. of Tenbury."

"WHATMORE, a township in the parish of Burford, county Salop, 1 mile W. of Tenbury."

"WHITTON, a chapelry in the parish of Burford, county Salop, 4 miles N.W. of Tenbury, and 4 S.E. of Ludlow."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2012

Church Records

Gazetteers

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)


Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.

URL of this page: www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SAL/Burford/index.html

GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.

This page was originally maintained by Rosemary Lockie until 2009

This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014

[Last updated at 07.37 on Monday, 14 July 2014, by Mel Lockie. ©2014]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.