CHETTON, Shropshire"CHETTON, a parish in the hundred of Stottesdon, in the county of Salop, 4 miles S.W. of Bridgnorth, its post and railway town. It comprises the townships of Ewdon George, Ewdon Burnell, Chetton, Faintree, and Criddon, and the chapelry of Loughin. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value with the rectories of Deuxhill and Glazeliy, and the curacy of Loughin annexed, £772, in the patronage of T. W. Browne, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is an ancient sine edifice, in the early English styli of architecture, and contains a brass to Archdeacon Vickers, the late rector. Here are National schools for both sexes. The annual value of the charities is £21. Faintree Hall is a brick edifice pleasantly situated."
"LOUGHTON, a chapelry in the parish of Chetton, hundred of Stottesdon, county Salop, 6 miles N.W. of Cleobury Mortimer, and 9 N.E. of Ludlow. Bridgnorth is its post town. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Chetton, in the diocese of Hereford. The church is a small stone edifice, believed to have been built about three centuries back. There is a National school for both sexes. Viscount Boyne is lord of the manor."
by Colin Hinson ©2012
- A transcript of the Chetton parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Chetton parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,