We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Chirbury

"CHIRBURY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Chirbury, in the county of Salop, 3 miles from Montgomery, and 18 S.W. of Shrewsbury. It is the Saxon Cyriebyrig, near Ethelfleda's Castle and Offa's Dyke. The village is very agreeably situated, in a fine and fertile valley, on the borders of Montgomeryshire. It had formerly a castle, which was said to have been built by Ethelfleda, Queen of the Mercians, and its ancient consequence is evident from its Having given its name to the hundred. Here are the remains of an Austin abbey, founded by Robert de Boulers, in Henry III.'s time. The place is noted as having given the title of baron to the celebrated Edward Lord Herbert of Montgomery. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, of the value of £200, in the patronage of the trustees of Shrewsbury grammar school, to whom the great tithes were granted by Queen Elizabeth. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was formerly in connection with Chirbury Priory. It is very ancient, having been restored by Humphrey de Winsbury (whose coat of arms it contains) in 1127. There are also two other churches in this parish: that at Marton, value £45, and that at Middleton, value £100, both of which are perpetual curacies, and in the patronage of the vicar. Here is a school for boys, endowed by a former vicar, the Rev. Edward Lewis, who died in 1675. He left two farms for this purpose, out of the rent of which £20 a year to be paid to the schoolmaster, together with schoolhouse and garden, and whatever sum remained after the necessary repairs on the farms, to be equally distributed to 10 poor widows of the parish. There are likewise other charities, producing £7 per annum. Mr. Lewis left also a library for the use of the vicar and schoolmaster. This was the birthplace of Bishop Chirbury, who died 1497."
" DUDSTON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, in the county of Salop, 3 miles N.E. of Montgomery."
" HOCKLETON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 4 miles N.E. of Montgomery."
" MARRINGTON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 5 miles N.W. of Bishops Castle."
" MARTON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 9 miles N.W. of Bishop's Castle. It is situated on the river Rea, near Marton Pool."
" MIDDLETON, a district parish in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 2¼ miles S.E. of Chirbury, and 6 N.W. of Bishop's Castle. Shrewsbury is its post town. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The district includes Middleton, Priest-Weston, Rovington, and Wilmington townships, also part of Church-Stoke parish, Montgomeryshire. On Stapeley Hill is "Medjibe's Fold," a Druidical circle 30 yards in circumference. Several of the stones are still standing, one in particular, 6 feet high, but the majority of them have disappeared. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £80, in the patronage of the Vicar of Chirbury. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a neat structure with a turret, containing one bell. There is a National school. Miss Stokes is lady of the manor."
" PRIEST WESTON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 6 miles N.W. of Bishop's Castle."
" RORRINGTON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 14 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury."
" STOCKTON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 10 miles N.W. of Bishop's Castle."
" TIMBERTH, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 2 miles E. of Montgomery, near Offa's Dyke."
" WALCOT, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 8 miles N. W. of Bishop's-Castle."
" WILMINGTON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 8 miles N.W. of Bishop's Castle."
" WINSBURY, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 2 miles N.E. of Montgomery."
" WOTHERTON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 8 miles N.W. of Bishop's Castle."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868] by Colin Hinson ©2015

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Chirbury area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church Records

  • The transcription of the Parish Registers for Chirbury provided by Mel Lockie. Added 2 July 2011.
  • Description and Travel

    You can see pictures of Chirbury which are provided by:

    Gazetteers

  • A transcript of the Chirbury parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
  • A transcript of the Chirbury parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,
  • A transcript of the Chirbury parish entries from Stephen Whatley's 1750 Gazetteer of England,

  • Historical Geography

    You can see the administrative areas in which Chirbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

    Maps

    You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO261985 (Lat/Lon: 52.579245, -3.092050), Chirbury which are provided by: