Link to maps of Chirbury

CHIRBURY, Shropshire

"CHIRBURY, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Chirbury, in the county of Salop, 3 miles from Montgomery, and 18 S.W. of Shrewsbury. It is the Saxon Cyriebyrig, near Ethelfleda's Castle and Offa's Dyke. The village is very agreeably situated, in a fine and fertile valley, on the borders of Montgomeryshire. It had formerly a castle, which was said to have been built by Ethelfleda, Queen of the Mercians, and its ancient consequence is evident from its Having given its name to the hundred. Here are the remains of an Austin abbey, founded by Robert de Boulers, in Henry III.'s time. The place is noted as having given the title of baron to the celebrated Edward Lord Herbert of Montgomery. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, of the value of £200, in the patronage of the trustees of Shrewsbury grammar school, to whom the great tithes were granted by Queen Elizabeth. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was formerly in connection with Chirbury Priory. It is very ancient, having been restored by Humphrey de Winsbury (whose coat of arms it contains) in 1127. There are also two other churches in this parish: that at Marton, value £45, and that at Middleton, value £100, both of which are perpetual curacies, and in the patronage of the vicar. Here is a school for boys, endowed by a former vicar, the Rev. Edward Lewis, who died in 1675. He left two farms for this purpose, out of the rent of which £20 a year to be paid to the schoolmaster, together with schoolhouse and garden, and whatever sum remained after the necessary repairs on the farms, to be equally distributed to 10 poor widows of the parish. There are likewise other charities, producing £7 per annum. Mr. Lewis left also a library for the use of the vicar and schoolmaster. This was the birthplace of Bishop Chirbury, who died 1497."

"DUDSTON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, in the county of Salop, 3 miles N.E. of Montgomery."

"HOCKLETON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 4 miles N.E. of Montgomery."

"MARRINGTON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 5 miles N.W. of Bishops Castle."

"MARTON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 9 miles N.W. of Bishop's Castle. It is situated on the river Rea, near Marton Pool."

"MIDDLETON, a district parish in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 2¼ miles S.E. of Chirbury, and 6 N.W. of Bishop's Castle. Shrewsbury is its post town. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The district includes Middleton, Priest-Weston, Rovington, and Wilmington townships, also part of Church-Stoke parish, Montgomeryshire. On Stapeley Hill is "Medjibe's Fold," a Druidical circle 30 yards in circumference. Several of the stones are still standing, one in particular, 6 feet high, but the majority of them have disappeared. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £80, in the patronage of the Vicar of Chirbury. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a neat structure with a turret, containing one bell. There is a National school. Miss Stokes is lady of the manor."

"PRIEST WESTON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 6 miles N.W. of Bishop's Castle."

"RORRINGTON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 14 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury."

"STOCKTON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 10 miles N.W. of Bishop's Castle."

"TIMBERTH, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 2 miles E. of Montgomery, near Offa's Dyke."

"WALCOT, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 8 miles N. W. of Bishop's-Castle."

"WILMINGTON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 8 miles N.W. of Bishop's Castle."

"WINSBURY, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 2 miles N.E. of Montgomery."

"WOTHERTON, a township in the parish of Chirbury, county Salop, 8 miles N.W. of Bishop's Castle."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2012

Church Records

Gazetteers

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)


Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.

URL of this page: www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SAL/Chirbury/index.html

GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.

This page was originally maintained by Rosemary Lockie until 2009

This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014

[Last updated at 07.37 on Monday, 14 July 2014, by Mel Lockie. ©2014]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.