Jump to navigation
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"CHURCH STOKE, a parish partly in the hundred of Cawrse, in the county of Montgomery, and partly in the hundred of Chirbury, in the county of Salop, 3 miles S.E. of Montgomery. It is situated on the river Camlet, near Offa's Dyke. It contains Upper and Lower Hopton, Brampton, Bacheldre, Mellington, Hurdley, and Weston Madoc. The Welshpool and Montgomeryshire railway passes near the village, and has a station at Montgomery. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Hereford, value £151, in the patronage of Earl Powis. The charities produce £13 per annum. There are traces of both Roman and British camps."
" BROMPTON, a township in the parish of Church-Stoke, hundred of Chirbury, in the county of Salop, 6 miles to the N.W. of Bishop's Castle."
" RHISTON, a township in the parish of Church-Stoke, county Salop, 2 miles S.E. of Montgomery."
" RISTON-WITH-BROMPTON, a township in the parish of Church-Stoke, hundred of Chirbury, county Salop, 7 miles N.W. of Bishop's-Castle."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868] by Colin Hinson ©2015
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Church Stoke area or see them printed on a map.
Ask for a calculation of the distance from Church Stoke to another place.