Link to maps of Church Stoke

CHURCH STOKE, Shropshire

"CHURCH STOKE, a parish partly in the hundred of Cawrse, in the county of Montgomery, and partly in the hundred of Chirbury, in the county of Salop, 3 miles S.E. of Montgomery. It is situated on the river Camlet, near Offa's Dyke. It contains Upper and Lower Hopton, Brampton, Bacheldre, Mellington, Hurdley, and Weston Madoc. The Welshpool and Montgomeryshire railway passes near the village, and has a station at Montgomery. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Hereford, value £151, in the patronage of Earl Powis. The charities produce £13 per annum. There are traces of both Roman and British camps."

"BROMPTON, a township in the parish of Church-Stoke, hundred of Chirbury, in the county of Salop, 6 miles to the N.W. of Bishop's Castle."

"RHISTON, a township in the parish of Church-Stoke, county Salop, 2 miles S.E. of Montgomery."

"RISTON-WITH-BROMPTON, a township in the parish of Church-Stoke, hundred of Chirbury, county Salop, 7 miles N.W. of Bishop's-Castle."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2012

Gazetteers

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)


Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.

URL of this page: www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SAL/ChurchStoke/index.html

GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI.

This page was originally maintained by Rosemary Lockie until 2009

This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014

[Last updated at 09.24 on Sunday, 13 July 2014, by Mel Lockie. ©2014]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.