Geographical and Historical information from the year 1750.
"CLEBURY, (Salop) near Clee-Hill, on the N. side of the Teme, 98 cm. 118 mm. from London, has a Mt. on W. 'Tis called North-Clebury and Clebury-Mortimers, not only to distinguish it from Clebury, on the b. of Worcestershire, but, because its ancient Lds. were the Mortimers; one of whom built a castle here, which was taken and demolished by K. Hen. II. against whom he had fortified and maintained it, in favour of K. Step's. heirs. The manor however continued in the family, till the R. of Edw.IV. when it passed to the crown."