DITTON PRIORS, Shropshire"DITTON PRIORS, a parish partly within the liberty of Wenlock borough, and partly in the hundred of Munslow, in the county of Salop, 8 miles S.W. of Bridgnorth, its post town, and 13 S.W. of Ludlow. It is situated to the E. of the Brown Clee hills, and contains the townships of Middleton-with-Netchwood Common and Ruthall-with-Ashfield, also the hamlets of Great Hudwick, Powkesmoor, Oakwood, and Derrington. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, value £147, in the patronage of R. Canning, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient stone structure, with tower, wooden spire, and four bells. It contains an ancient font, a brass, and some monuments of very old date. The charities amount to £6 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Philip Henry Howard, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil. Fairs are held on the 10th May and 15th October for cattle, &c."
"ASHFIELD, a township united with Rutton, in the parish of Ditton Priors, Wenlock liberty, in the county of Salop, 7 miles from Much Wenlock."
"MIDDLETON PRIORS, a township in the parish of Ditton Priors, county Salop, 6 miles S. of Wenlock. It is situated near Middleton-Baggot."
"RUTHALL, a hamlet in the parish of Ditton Priors, hundred of Munslow, county Salop, 7 miles S. of Wenlock, and 8 S.W. of Bridgnorth. It is in conjunction with Ashfield to form a township"
by Colin Hinson ©2015
- The transcription of the Non-Conformist Register for Ditton Priors Wesleyan Chapel provided by Mel Lockie. Added 17 June 2011.
- A transcript of the DittonPriors parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the DittonPriors parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,