Jump to navigation
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"DONINGTON, a parish in the Shiffnal division of the hundred of Brimstree, in the county of Salop, 8 miles N.W. of Wolverhampton, its post town, 5 S.E. of Shiffnal, and 1 mile E. of Albrighton station on the Shrewsbury and Birmingham railway. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The extra-parochial district of Boscobel and White Ladies, regarded as within the cure of the minister of this parish, was formerly a populous hamlet, but there is now only the old house of Boscobel and the ruins of the monastery of White Ladies. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £673, in the patronage of the puke of Sutherland. The tithes were commuted for land and a rent-charge under the Enclosure Act of 1771. The church is an ancient stone structure, believed to be dedicated to St. Cuthbert; it has a fine tower containing four bells. The interior is very handsome. The charities produce £1 per annum. There is a school for the children of the parish. George Jones, Esq., is lord of the manor, and one of the principal owners. Below the rocky site on which the church stands, is a spring called St. Cuthbert's Well."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868] by Colin Hinson ©2015
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Donington area or see them printed on a map.
Ask for a calculation of the distance from Donington to another place.
Most of them are small, but all are mentioned in Cassell's Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland, 1899, cited above.