FITZ, Shropshire"FITZ, a parish in the hundred of Pimhill, county Salop, 4½ miles N.W. of Shrewsbury, its post town. It is situate on the river Severn and its tributary the Perry. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £272, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £260. There is a village school supported by the rector. Dr. Waring, the mathematician, was born here."
"GRAFTON, a township in the parish of Fitz, liberty of Shrewsbury, county Salop, 5 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury. It is situated on the river Perry."
by Colin Hinson ©2012
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Fitz provided by Mel Lockie. Added 24 Nov 2009.
- A transcript of the Fitz parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Fitz parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,