"GREAT HANWOOD, a parish in the hundred of Ford, county Salop, 4 miles S.W. of Shrewsbury. It is a station on the Shrewsbury and Welshpool section of the London and North-Western railway. The parish is situated near the Rhe, a branch of the river Severn, within the liberty of the borough of Shrewsbury. The parish is of small extent, and chiefly arable. Here is a large flourmill. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Hereford, value £221. The church is a small brick edifice, built at the beginning of the 18th century.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868] by Colin Hinson ©2015