"LEIGHTON, a parish in the Wellington division of the hundred of South Bradford, county Salop, 6 miles S.W. of Wellington, its post town, and 3 N. of Much Wenlock. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Severn, and on the Shrewsbury and Worcester turnpike road. The Wrekin Hill, a trap rock rising to the height of 1,320 feet, and commanding an extensive prospect, lies on the N.E. border of the parish. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £218. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a brick structure, with a wooden tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains several fine tablets. The parochial charities produce about £12 6s. per annum. Robert Gardner, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868] by Colin Hinson ©2015