"LONG STANTON, a parish in the hundred of Munslow, county Salop, 7½ miles S.W. of Much Wenlock, its post town, and 10 W. of Bridgnorth. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Corve, and on the road from Skipton to Holdgate. The inhabitants are agricultural. The parish includes the townships of Brocton and Patton. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, value £134, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient structure, with a turret and three bells. The parochial charities produce about 12s. per annum. There is a National school for both sexes at Brocton. The Rev. Thrusby Pelham is lord of the manor.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868] by Colin Hinson ©2015