LONGNOR, Shropshire"LONGNOR, a parish in the hundred of Condover, county Salop, 5 miles N.E. of Church Stretton, and 8 S. of Shrewsbury, its post town. The Leebotwood station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford line of railway, is about 1½ mile from the village. It is situated on the river Onny in a hilly neighbourhood. The Romans had a station here. Coal is obtained. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to that of Leebotwood, in the diocese of Lichfield. The church is an ancient edifice, formerly belonging to Haughmond Abbey. The parochial endowments produce about £44 per annum. There is a National school. This was the birth-place of the Rev. Samuel Lee, a self-taught linguist, and formerly professor of Arabic at Cambridge. Longnor Hall is the principal residence."
by Colin Hinson ©2012
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Longnor provided by Mel Lockie. Added 7 Dec 2009.
- A transcript of the Longnor parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Longnor parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,