LYDHAM, Shropshire"LYDHAM, a parish partly in the hundred and county of Montgomery, but chiefly in the hundred of Purslow, county Salop, 2 miles N.E. of Bishop's Castle, its post town, and 8 S.W. of Church Stretton. The main road from Bishop's Castle to Shrewsbury passes through the village. The small river Camlet rises in the parish, which includes the township of Aston. A portion of the people are Welsh. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford, value £463. The church is an ancient stone edifice, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and has an antique font. The Rev. A. Oakeley is lord of the manor. Oakeley .louse is the principal residence."
by Colin Hinson ©2012
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Lydham provided by Mel Lockie. Added 17 July 2011.
- A transcript of the Lydham parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Lydham parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,