"MONTFORD, a parish in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimhill, county Salop, 5 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury, its post town, and 12 from Oswestry. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near Montford Bridge, on the N. bank of the river Severn, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlets of Ensdon and Forton. The soil is chiefly loam and sand, producing excellent crops of barley. The surface is in general level. The living is a vicarage with the rectory* of Shrawardine annexed, in the diocese of Lichfield, value £380 and £233 respectively. The church, dedicated to St. Chad, is a red sandstone structure with a square tower containing three bells."
" ENSDON, a township in the parish of Montford, county Salop, 6 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury."
" FORTON, a hamlet in the parish of Montford, county Salop, 5 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury. The river Severn flows past it."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868] by Colin Hinson ©2015