MONTFORD, Shropshire"MONTFORD, a parish in the Baschurch division of the hundred of Pimhill, county Salop, 5 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury, its post town, and 12 from Oswestry. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near Montford Bridge, on the N. bank of the river Severn, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlets of Ensdon and Forton. The soil is chiefly loam and sand, producing excellent crops of barley. The surface is in general level. The living is a vicarage with the rectory* of Shrawardine annexed, in the diocese of Lichfield, value £380 and £233 respectively. The church, dedicated to St. Chad, is a red sandstone structure with a square tower containing three bells."
"ENSDON, a township in the parish of Montford, county Salop, 6 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury."
"FORTON, a hamlet in the parish of Montford, county Salop, 5 miles N.W. of Shrewsbury. The river Severn flows past it."
by Colin Hinson ©2015
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Montford provided by Mel Lockie. Added 12 Jan 2012.
- A transcript of the Montford parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Montford parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,