MORETON SAY, Shropshire"MORETON SAY, (or Moreton Sea), a parish in the Drayton division of the hundred of North Bradford, county Salop, 3 miles W. of Market Drayton, its post town, and 8 S.E. of Whitchurch. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Tern, and on the road from Newport to Whitchurch. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The parish which is of considerable extent, contains the hamlets of Bletchley, Longford, and Styche. The soil consists of loam, with a subsoil of sand. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £550, and the incumbent's for £89 138. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, value £129. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is a brick structure, with a square tower containing three bells. The interior of the church contains numerous monuments of the Vernon and Clive families, one of which is to the eminent Lord Clive, who was interred here. The chancel has a stained window. The parochial charities produce about £20 per annum. There is a day and Sunday school. The Methodists have a chapel at Tern Hill. Richard Corbet, Esq., and John Tayleur, Esq., are lords of the manor.
"BLETCHLEY, a township in the parish of Moreton-Say, and hundred of Bradford, in the county of Salop, 3 miles from Market Drayton."
"LONGFORD, a township in the parish of Moreton-Say, county Salop, 2 miles W. of Market Drayton."
"STYCHE WITH WOODLANDS, a township in the parish of Moreton Say, county Salop, 2 miles N.W. of Market Drayton."
"WOODLANDS, a township in the parish of Moreton Say, county Salop, 2 miles N.W. of Market Drayton. It is joined to Styche."
by Colin Hinson ©2015
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Moreton Say provided by Mel Lockie. Added 8 Sep 2010.
- A transcript of the MoretonSay parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,