Geographical and Historical information from the year 1824.
"QUATT MALVERN (or QUATT), a parish is the Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesdon, a rectory, in the diocese of Coventry and Lichfield, the deanery of Lapley and Treizull, and archdeaconry of Stafford. 61 houses, 342 inhabitants. 4½ miles south-east of Bridgnorth. Quatt Malvern parish extends into the liberties of Bridgnorth.
In Leland's time there were to be seen here, the ruins of the manor-place of Robert de Montgomery, who first founded the church of St. Mary Magdalene. In 1763, on rebuilding the church of QUAT, a village about one mile farther in the same hundred of Stoddesdon, were found a number of figures painted on the walls, representing the Seven Charities and the Day of Judgment; and, on a piece of vellum nailed to an oak board, the figure of our Saviour rising from the sepulchre. Under the figure were the following lines:
"Saynt Gregory and .other popes
and byschops grantes sex and
twenty thousand zere of pardons,
thritti dayes to alle that sales devou-
telye knelyng afor yis is ymage fife
paternosters, fyfe aves, & a Cred.
About four miles eastward from Quatford, is a Roman camp, called THE WALLS. The form of it is nearest to a square. There have been four gates or entrances into it: one in the middle of the north front from CHESTERTON, a small village, another in the middle of the west, a third in the south-east, and a fourth in the north-east corner. The odd position of the two last take advantage of declivities in the rock, the whole face of which is every where, except on the north- east, a precipice of fifty or sixty yards perpendicular. On east side a passage leads down to a rivulet below called Stratford.- Beside these a sloping way is cut through the bank, and down the rock in the middle of the south face, to the water, which surrounds part of the west, all the south and east, and part of the north sides of the camp, rendering it strong and innaccessible. The west side has been doubly fortified with a deep trench cut out of the solid rock between two ramparts, To the north it has only one bank, of the height of the innermost on the west, Its outer bank may have been levelled for the farm buildings at Chesterton. More than twenty acres are inclosed and ploughed within the Walls. No coins or antiquities have been found there. It was probably native to Uriconium and Pennocrucium which are within a day's march from it. A camp in Wilts bears the same name.
"DUDMASTON, a township in the parish of Quatt Malvern, and in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesdon."
"MOSE, a township in the parish of Quatt Malvern, and in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesdon."
"QUATT JARVIS, a township in the parish of Quatt Malvern."
"QUATT MALVERN, a township in the parish of Quatt Malvern, and in the Chelmarsh division of the hundred of Stottesdon."