Stanton Lacy

"STANTON LACY, a parish in the lower division of Munslow hundred, county Salop, 3 miles N.W. of Ludlow, its post town, and 1 mile from the Bromfield railway station. The village is situated on the river Corve, and on the road from Ludlow to Much Wenlock. The parish, which is extensive, contains the townships of Downton with Hopton, Upper and Lower Hayton, Rock-with-Henley, and Wootton, and the hamlets of East and West Stanton. The Ludlow Union poorhouse is situated in this parish. The soil is sand and clay, upon a subsoil of limestone. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Hereford, value £485. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing six bells. The interior has been restored. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, principally supported by the vicar. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. Downton Hall is the principal residence. The Earl of Craven and Sir W. R. Boughton, Bart., are lords of the manor."[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015]

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Stanton Lacy area or see them printed on a map.

topup

Church Records

  • The transcription of the Parish Registers for Stanton Lacy provided by Mel Lockie. 
topup

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Stanton Lacy which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868 by Colin Hinson ©2015

  • " AINTREE, a hamlet in the parish of Stanton Lacy, in the hundred of Munslow, in the county of Salop, 3 miles N.W. of Ludlow."
  • " DOWNTON, a township of the parish of Stanton Lacy, in the county of Salop, 3 miles N.E. of Ludlow."
  • " EAST, a hamlet in the parish of Stanton Lacy, county Salop, 2 miles N.W. of Ludlow."
  • " HENLEY, a township in the parishes of Bitterley and Stanton Lacy, county Salop, 2 miles N.E. of Ludlow. It is situated on a tributary of the river Teme."
  • " HOPTON, a township in the parish of Stanton-Lacy, county Salop, 3 miles N. of Ludlow."
  • " ROCK, a township in the parish of Stanton Lacy, county Salop, 1 mile N.E. of Ludlow."
  • " UPPER HAYTON, (and Lower Hayton) townships in the parish of Stanton Lacy, county Salop, 4 miles N. of Ludlow. It is situated on the river Corve.
  • " WEST, a hamlet in the parish of Stanton Lacy, county Salop, 2 miles N.W. of Ludlow."
  • " WOOTTON, a township in the parish of Stanton Lacy, county Salop, 4 miles N.W. of Ludlow, on the river Onny."

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stanton Lacy to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Stanton Lacy has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup