Geographical and Historical information from the year 1831.
"TONG, a parish in the Shiffnall division of the hundred of BRIMSTREE, county of SALOP, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Shiffinall, containing 536 inhabitants; The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of. Salop, and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry. George Duront, Esq. was patron in 1807. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is in the decorated style, with a handsome spire rising from the centre; it originally belonged to the abbey of Shrewsbury, and was purchased, in 1410, by Isabel, relict of Sir Fulk Pembridge, Knt, and others, who rebuilt and made it collegiate for a warden, four chaplains, priests, and two clerks, with an hospital for thirteen poor persons, whose revenue, at the dissolution, was valued at £45. 9. 10. Near the church, and within the demesne of the castle, are considerable remains of the old hospital; new almshouses have been founded in its stead at the village. Tong castle, a magnificent and extensive mansion, was erected, in the last century, upon the site of the ancient structure, which was then demolished: it is crowned with numerous turrets, pin-? nacles, and two lofty domes, producing a grand and striking effect. There are benefactions by Lady Harris, Lord and Lady Pierrepoint, and the Rev. Lewis Petier, producing £45 a year, for educating and clothing poop boys and girls in the Sunday school."