Jump to navigation
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"WHITTINGTON, a parish in the upper division of Oswestry hundred, county Salop, 2½ miles N.E. of Oswestry, and 5 W. of Ellesmere. It has stations on the Cambrian and on the Shrewsbury and Chester branch of the Great Western railways. There is likewise a branch line from Gobowen, in this parish, to Oswestry. The river Perry and the Ellesmere canal traverse the parish from N. to S. It has the ruins of an ancient moated border castle, supposed to have been built in the 9th century by a British chieftain, whose descendants held it till the Norman conquest, when it was given to Peverel, the founder of the family of the Peverels of the Peak, but afterwards passed into the hands of Fulk Fitz-Guarine, or Warine, whose family kept it till 1419. The castle, before its demolition, was strongly fortified with five round towers, each 40 feet in diameter and 100 feet in height, and the walls were 12 feet in thickness. The towers of the gatehouse are still entire, with some portions of the walls and towers of the castle. The par: includes the townships of Berghill, Daywell, Ebnall, Fernhill, Frankton, Henlle, Hindford, Old Marton, and Whittington, with the hamlets of Babies' Wood and Gobowen, and contains at present a population of about 1,500. The village was once a market town, and now contains about 500 inhabitants. In the parish are Belmont, Ebnall Lodge, Fernhill, and Park Hall, the last of the time of Henry VIII., with a private chapel, said to have been consecrated by Archbishop Parker. The Hulston estate also lies in the centre of the parish, but is now a separate parish. A portion of the eastern side of the parish was in 1865 formed into a separate district, embracing also a part of Ellesmere parish. The district church is called St. Andrew's, and the new district Welsh Frankton. Another portion of the township of Daywell, to the N.W. of the parish, has also been severed, having been assigned to the Hengoed district, the church of which was built in, and the chief part of the district taken from, the parish of Selattyn. The subsoil is principally gravel with traces of coal. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £965, with 50 acres of glebe. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was rebuilt in 1806. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have chapels. There are National schools built at a cost of £1,000, which are partly supported by an endowment of £42 per annum. Mrs. Lloyd, of Aston Hall, is lady of the manor."
" DAYWELL, a township in the parish of Whittington, in the county of Shropshire, 3 miles N.E. of Oswestry."
" EBNALL, a township in the parish of Whittington, county Salop, 3 miles N.E. of Oswestry. The Ellesmere canal passes in the neighbourhood."
" FERNHILL, a township in the parish of Whittington, hundred of Oswestry, county Salop, 2 miles N.E. of Oswestry. It is situated on the river Perry. Fernhill Hall is the principal residence."
" FRANKTON, a township in the parish of Whittington, hundred of Oswestry, county Salop, 3 miles E. of Whittington, and 3 S.W. of Ellesmere. Oswestry is its post town. The Ellesmere canal passes in the vicinity of the town ship. Here is a chapel-of-ease, the living of which is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Whittington, in the diocese of Lichfield. The Independents have a chapel, and there is a National school."
" HENLLE, a township in the parish of Whittington, county Salop, 2 miles N.E. of Oswestry."
" HINDFORD, a township in the parish of Whittington, county Salop, 3 miles N.E. of Oswestry. It is situated on the Ellesmere canal."
" OLD MARTON, a township in the parish of Whittington, county Salop, 3 miles N.E. of Oswestry. It is situated near the river Perry and the Ellesmere canal.
" UPPER BERGHILL, (and Lower Berghill) a township in the parish of Whittington, upper division of the hundred of Oswestry, in the county of Salop, 4 miles from Oswestry. The Chester and Shrewsbury railway passes near it, and has a station at Whittington.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868] by Colin Hinson ©2015
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Whittington area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Ask for a calculation of the distance from Whittington to another place.