WROCKWARDINE, Shropshire"WROCKWARDINE, a parish in the Wellington division of South Bradford hundred, county Salop, 2 miles S.W. of Wellington, 10 E. of Shrewsbury, and half a mile from the Admaston railway station. The parish comprises the townships of Admaston, Allscote, Bratton, Burcott, Clottley, Cluddley, Charlton, Leaton, Long Lane, Wrockwardine, and Wrockwardine Wood. The substratum abounds in coal and ironstone, which are principally worked in the township of Wrockwardine Wood, now constituted a separate ecclesiastical district. The village is situated on ground adjoining a by-road leading from Watling Street turnpike road, and commands a prospect over the surrounding country, including the vale of Salop, the Breddyn hills in North Wales, and the plains of Cheshire, with the hills of Derbyshire in the distance. The manufacture of glass is carried on, and there is a corn-mill on the river Tern, which bounds the parish on the N. In the township of Wrockwardine Wood the Shrewsbury canal passes, and in that of Admaston is a mineral spring with hotel and baths attached. The water contains muriate of soda, a small portion of muriate of lime with iron, and hepatic air. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £400, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has recently been restored. In the chancel are a painted E. window representing the Saviour, and several monumental tablets. There are National schools for boys and girls, both here and at Wrockwardine, and almshouses for 6 poor persons, built and endowed in 1841. The charities produce about £38 per annum."
"ADMASTON, a township in the parish of Wrockwardine, hundred of South Bradford, in county Shropshire, 1 mile to the S.W. of Wellington, and half a mile S. from Admaston railway station."
"ALLSCOTE, a township in the parish of Wrockwardine, hundred of South Bradford, in the county of Salop, 3 miles to the N. W. of Wellington. It is a station on the Shropshire Union railway, and is close to the parish church of Wrockwardine. The river Tern rums through it."
"BRATTON, a township in the parish of Wrockwardine, hundred of Bradford, in the county of Salop, 2 miles from Wellington. The Shropshire Union railway passes near it, with a station in the neighbouring township of Admaston."
"CHARLTON, a township in the parish of Wrockwardine, in the county of Salop, 2 miles W. of Wellington. The whole of this township is the property of the Duke of Sutherland."
"CLUDDLEY, a township in the parish of Wrockwardine in the county of Salop, 1 mile S.W. of Wellington."
"LEATON, a township in the parish of Wrockwardine, hundred of South Bradford, county Salop, 2 miles W. of Wellington. It is situated near the' river Tern and the Shrewsbury canal. Many of the inhabitants are engaged in the coal and ironstone mines."
"LONG-LANE, a hamlet in the parish of Wrockwardine, county Salop, 2 miles W. of Wellington. It is situated near the river Tern and the Shrewsbury and Birmingham railway. Some of the inhabitants are employed in the neighbouring coal and ironstone mines."
"RUSHMOORE, a township in the parish of Wrockwardine, county Salop, 3 miles N.W. of Wellington."
"WROCKWARDINE-WOOD, a township and ecclesiastical district in the parish of Wrockwardine, county Salop 4 miles W. of Wellington, 5 from Newport, 1 mile from Oaken Gates railway station, and 5 miles from the village of Wrockwardine. A branch of the Shropshire Union canal, which communicates with the Severn, passes through the township. The substratum abounds with coal and ironstone, which are extensively worked by the Lilleshall company on lease from the Duke of Sutherland. The township includes the hamlets of Frenchland and the Nabbs. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £140. The church has recently been repaired. The Primitive and Reformed Methodists have chapels. There are National schools."
by Colin Hinson ©2012
- The transcription of the Parish Registers for Wrockwardine provided by Mel Lockie. Added 8 Sep 2010.
- A transcript of the Wrockwardine parish entries from Samuel Lewis's 1831 Topographical Dictionary of England,
- A transcript of the Wrockwardine parish entries from Gregory's 1824 Gazetteer of Shropshire,