"AKENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere and Claydon, in the county of Suffolk, 2½ miles to the N.W. of Ipswich, and 2 miles S.E. from Claydon railway station. It is on a branch of the small river Gipping. The living is a rectory united with that of Claydon, in the diocese of Norwich. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small old building, and was repaired in 1854. Rise Hall is the principal residence."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)