"ALDERTON, a parish in the hundred of Wilford, in the county of Suffolk, 7 miles to the S.E. of Woodbridge. It is situated near Hollesley Bay and the small river Deben. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £270, in the patronage of T. Archer, Esq., and the Bishop of Norwich every fourth turn, who present by turns. The old church of St. Andrew is in ruins, and serves as a landmark on the coast. The modern church of St. Bartholomew is a brick building. Giles Fletcher, the poet, once held the rectory of this parish, and died here in 1623."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Alderton:
- Details of the administrative areas of which Alderton has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.