"ALDRINGHAM, a parish in the hundred of Blything, in the county of Suffolk, 3 miles to the N.W. of Aldborough. It lies near the coast, and contains the hamlet of Thorpe. It was formerly a market town. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Norwich, value, with Thorpe, £59, in the patronage of the Rev. E. Hollond. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is built in the Saxon style, and was formerly thatched. It had a tower, which was taken down at the time of its undergoing a thorough repair. The roof is now slated, and it has a new ceiling. There are two fairs, one a statute fair for hiring servants, October 11, and the other, December 11, a pleasure fair held on Coldfair Green, about 2 miles W. of the village of Aldring, which is a small straggling place, containing, with the hamlets of Thorpe and Potter's Street, scarcely 350 inhabitants, principally fishermen. The Baptists have a chapel here."
"THORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Aldringham, county Suffolk, 2 miles N.E. of Aldborough, on the coast. The church of St. Mary is in ruins."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)