"ASHBY, a parish in the hundred of Mutford, in the county of Suffolk, 5 miles to the N.W. of Lowestoft, its post town. The river Waveney flows near it on the W., and Fritton Decoy lies to the N. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, value £214, in the patronage of Sir S. M. Peto. The church, which is thatched, and has a circular tower with octangular top, is dedicated to St. Mary."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Ashby: [an error occurred while processing this directive]
- Details of the administrative areas of which Ashby has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.