"ASHFIELD, a parish in the hundred of Thredling, in the county of Suffolk, 3 miles to the E. of Debenham, its post town, and 12 N. of Ipswich. It contains the chapelry of Thorpe. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ely, value £53, in the patronage of Lord Henniker, who is also lord of the manor, and impropriator of the great tithes, which have been commuted for £465 per annum. The church, after having been in ruins for more than a century, was rebuilt of brick in 1853, by Lord Henniker, at a cost of £2000. Previously Thorpe Chapel, erected in 1739, supplied the place of the parish church; but since the opening of the new church the chapel has been pulled down, the tower only being left standing to serve as a cemetery chapel."
"THORPE, a chapelry in the parish of Ashfield, hundred of Thredling, county Suffolk, 1½ mile S.E. of Debenham. It is joined with Ashfield to form a township. The chapel-of-ease, dedicated to St. Peter, was rebuilt in 1739, with the exception of the circular tower."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)