"ASSINGTON, a parish in the hundred of Babergh, in the county of Suffolk, 5 miles to the S.E. of Sudbury, its post town, and 4 N.E. of Bares. It is watered by a branch of the river Stour. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value £448, with 51 acres of glebe, in the patronage of J. Gurdon, Esq., to whom the manor belongs. The church, which possesses a brass of 1450, with figures of a knight and his lady, is dedicated to St. Edmund. The tithes were commuted, in 1837, for the yearly moduses of £447 17s. 10d. to the vicar, and of £361 15s. 3d. to the impropriator. There is a small bequest, by John Gurdon, Esq., for the support of the National school. Assington Hall is an ancient mansion, surrounded by a park of 60 acres."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)