"BARDWELL, a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, in the county of Suffolk, 8 miles to the N.E. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £597, in the patronage of the President and Fellows of St. John's College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There is a small Baptist chapel in the village. The parochial charities, which include some townlands, an almshouse, and a small endowed school, amount to £103 per annum."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)