"BARNBY, a parish in the hundred of Mutford, in the county of Suffolk, 4 miles to the E. of Beccles, its post town, and 6 S.W. from Lowestoft. The village, a small agricultural place, lies near the sea-coast, about one mile from the navigable river Waveney. The living is a rectory united with that of Mutford, in the diocese of Norwich. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient structure with thatched roof. There are some small charities, and a few acres of allotment land. Sir Samuel Morton Peto, Bart., is lord of the manor."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)