"BARNHAM, (or Barnham St. Gregory), a parish in the hundred of Blackbourn, in the county of Suffolk, 2½ miles to the S. of Thetford, its post town and nearest railway station, and 10 N. of Bury St. Edmund's. The village, which consists of a number of scattered houses, is situated on the Little Ouse, near which is a windmill for corn, and there is a large tract of sandy heath in the parish. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Euston, in the diocese of Ely, and at present held by the Hon. and Rev. Augustus F. Phipps, non-resident. The church dedicated to St. Gregory, is a small, neat building with a tower. There is a free school chiefly supported by the Duke of Grafton, who is lord of the manor and owner of the parish. This parish comprises the old parish of Burnham St. Martin's, the church of which has long been in ruins. Its old square tower, covered with ivy, is a romantic feature in the prospect. Several tumuli are found in the neighbourhood, about one mile and a quarter to the north of the town, which are supposed to mark the spot where a great battle was fought in the Saxon times between King Edmund and the Danes.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)