"BARROW, a parish in the hundred of Thingoe, in the county of Suffolk, 7 miles to the W. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town, and 8 E. from Newmarket. The village is about half a mile in length, terminating in a spacious green, around which are some good shops and private residences. The Bury and Newmarket railway passes along the northern boundary of the parish. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £690, in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church was built about the reign of Henry III., and was restored in 1852. It contains several old monuments, an altar tomb, faced with brass, of Sir Clement Heigham, and two brasses. It is dedicated to All Saints, and has in the chancel a handsome painted window. The register commences from the year 1542. There is an Independent chapel, built in 1836, and a free school, for the education of 24 children. The charitable endowments, including £20, the revenue of a school, amount to £80. A pleasure fair is held on the 1st May."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)