"BATTISFORD, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere and Claydon, in the county of Suffolk, 2½ miles to the N.W. of Needham-Market railway station, and 3 from Stowmarket. A preceptory of the Knights Templars was founded here in the reign of Henry II., which was valued at the Dissolution at £53 10s., and was granted to Sir R. Gresham. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich, of the value of £400, in the patronage of the Rev. E. Paske, vicar. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small Gothic structure, without a tower or bells. The register commences from the year 1711. Near the village is Battisford Hall, the beautiful residence of E. Lingwood, Esq."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Mary, Church Road, Church of England
- Battisford Free Church, Straight Road-Battisford Tye, Free Church
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Battisford area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Battisford to another place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.