"BAYLHAM, (or Bayleham), a parish in the hundred and union of Bosmere and Claydon, in the county of Suffolk, 3 miles to the E. of Needham Market, and 6 to the N. of Ipswich. It lies on the west bank of the river Gipping, which was made navigable to Stowmarket, in 1793. The Great Eastern railway passes through the parish, and has a station at Claydon, about 2 miles to the north-west of the village. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich, of the value of £256, in the patronage of W. Downes, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, in the Gothic style, with a square tower. Sir William Middleton, Bart., is lord of the manor.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)