"BENHALL, a parish in the hundred of Plomesgate, in the county of Suffolk, 1 mile from Saxmundham, its post town. The manor of Benhall was once held by the Ufford family and the De la Poles, and at a later period by the Dukes. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, value £173, in the patronage of the Rev. E. Hollond. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and contains a monumental brass of E. Duke, who died in 1548. Sir Edward. Duke was created baronet in 1661. Here is a free school founded and endowed by another Sir Edward in 1731, which has an income of £28 a year. The principal residences are Benhall House, and Benhall Lodge."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)