"BENTLEY, a parish in the hundred of Samford, in the county of Suffolk, 6 miles to the S.W. of Ipswich, its post town. It is a station on the Great Eastern railway at the junction of the Hadleigh branch line. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, of the value of £182, in the patronage of the Rev. C. E. R. Keene. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The parochial charities amount to £2 a year. In this parish is an ancient seat of the Tollemache family, who were settled here before the Norman Conquest. Here, too, was Dodnash priory, a small establishment for Augustine canons, founded by the ancestors of the Duke of Norfolk. At the Dissolution, when it was given to Wolsey, its value was £43."
"DODNASH, a hamlet in the parish of Bentley, incorporation and hundred of Samford, in the county of Suffolk, 7½ miles S.W. of Ipswich. A priory of Black Canons formerly existed here; its revenue at the Dissolution was £42 18s. 8d."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)