"BILDESTON, (or Bilston), a parish in the hundred of Cosford, in the county of Suffolk, 5 miles to the N.W. of Hadleigh, where is the nearest station of the Great Eastern railway. Ipswich is its post town. It lies in a pleasant valley, watered by a small stream, a branch of the river Bret. This place was once a market town, and the seat of a woollen manufacture. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £346, in the patronage of the Rev. Joseph Gedge, M.A., incumbent. The church, a spacious building, contains a brass of 1599, and is dedicated to St. Mary. The rectory, rebuilt within a few years, is well situated on a hill commanding an extensive view of the surrounding country. The Baptists have a chapel here, and there is a National school-house nearly in the centre of the town. The fairs which were formerly held here are now obsolete.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)