"BLUNDESTON, a parish in the hundred of Mutford and Lothingland, in the county of Suffolk, 3 miles to the N.W. of Lowestoft, its post town. It is situated on the seacoast, on the north-east side of the river Waveney. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, of the value, with that of Flixton united with it, of £617, in the patronage of T. Mare, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel in the village, and there is a small free school with an endowment of £10 per annum, the bequest of Gregory Clarke in 1726. There are some other charities, the value of which is about £87 a year. Blundeston House is the principal residence."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Mary, Church Road, Church of England
- Churches in Blundeston:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Blundeston area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Blundeston has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview