"BLUNDESTON, a parish in the hundred of Mutford and Lothingland, in the county of Suffolk, 3 miles to the N.W. of Lowestoft, its post town. It is situated on the seacoast, on the north-east side of the river Waveney. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, of the value, with that of Flixton united with it, of £617, in the patronage of T. Mare, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel in the village, and there is a small free school with an endowment of £10 per annum, the bequest of Gregory Clarke in 1726. There are some other charities, the value of which is about £87 a year. Blundeston House is the principal residence."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Mary, Church Road, Church of England
- Churches in Blundeston:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Blundeston area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.