"BRADFIELD-COMBUST, (or Burnt Bradfield), a parish in the hundred of Thedwestry, in the county of Suffolk, 5 miles to the S. of Bury St. Edmund's, its post town. It derived the addition to its name from the circumstance of the hall, which at an early period belonged to the abbot of Bury, being burnt down in 1327 by the townsmen. The living is a discharged rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £180, in the patronage of the Rev. James Lukin, rector. In 1792 the church was endowed with £200 royal bounty; but in 1838 this was relinquished for a yearly modus of £231 10s., awarded in lieu of tithes. The church is dedicated to All Saints. In the chancel is an old piscina. There are mural monuments to the Young family, and tablets to the Edwards and Enraght families. Bradfield Hall was the seat of Arthur Young, the celebrated writer on agriculture, who was born at this village in 1741. It is now the residence of Arthur John Young, who, in 1857, erected the present noble mansion on the site of the old hall. It contains some excellent paintings, and a select library of 5,000 vols.
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)