"BRADWELL, a parish in the hundred of Mutford and Lothingland, in the county of Suffolk, 3 miles to the S.W. of Yarmouth, its post town, and 8 from Lowestoft. The East Suffolk section of the Great Eastern railway runs near it. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, of the value of £632, in the patronage of J. Walker, Esq. The tithes have been commuted. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas, and contains an ancient font. It has been recently restored, and a fine east window added by the Rev. W. Trivett, the incumbent. The register dates from the year 1616. The parish comprises an area of about 2,383 acres, principally the property of Sir S. M. Peto, Bart., who is lord of the manor. A National school was built here in 1851."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Bradwell:
- St Nicholas, Church Walk, Church of England
- Chapel [now Methodist Church], Chapel Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Bradwell area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Bradwell has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.