"BRAMFORD, a parish in the hundred of Bosmere and Claydon, in the county of Suffolk, 3 miles to the N.W. of Ipswich, its post town, and 70¾ from London. It is a considerable village, and a station on the Great Eastern railway. The parish is intersected by the navigable river Gipping, and the Stowmarket and Ipswich canal. There are 10 acres of common and 10 acres of cottage gardens. The greater part of the soil belongs to Sir G. Broke Middleton, Bart., who is lord of the manor. There is a large paper-mill, flour-mill, and two manure factories on the river. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Norwich, of the value with the perpetual curacy of Burstall, of £79, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The church, dedicated to St. Stephen, is in the early English and decorated styles of architecture; it has recently been restored, and has three fine arches in the chancel, with a square tower and leaden spire. The charitable endowments produce about £25 a year, and there are good schools for 150 children, built in 1860. There is an Independent chapel. Bramford Hall is the principal mansion. It is built in the modern style, and at present occupied by Lieutenant-Colonel Phillips, but is the property of Sir G. Broke Middleton."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)