"BRANDESTON, a parish in the hundred of Loes, in the county of Suffolk, 4 miles to the S.W. of Framlingham, 5 from Wickham Market, its post town, and 12 N.E. of Ipswich. It is situated on the banks of the river Deben. A branch of the Great Eastern railway runs from Wickham Market to Framlingham. The living is a vicarage* in the dioc, of Norwich, value £100, in the patronage of the Rev. T. Smythe. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a Gothic building, with square tower. There is an Independent chapel, built in 1838, capable of accommodating 400 persons. The school is supported by Charles Austin, Esq., J.P., who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. There are some poor's land and other charitable endowments of small value. A new vicarage has lately been built."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)