"BRANTHAM, a parish in the hundred of Samford, in the county of Suffolk, 2 miles to the N. of Manningtree, its post town and railway station, and 9 S.W. of Ipswich. It is situated on the banks of the navigable river Stour, and the Great Eastern railway passes through the parish. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, of the value with the perpetual curacy of East Bergholt, of £1,117, in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The register dates from the year 1634. The Wesleyans have a chapel here."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)