"BRETTENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Cosford, in the county of Suffolk, 6 miles to the S.W. of Stowmarket. Bildeston is its post town. It is situated on the small river Bret, a branch of the Stour, and is considered to be the site of Combretonium, a Roman station. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the yearly value of £377, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are some church lands, and some charities of trifling amount. Brettenham Hall is the principal seat."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Mary, Church Road, Church of England
- Churches in Brettenham:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Brettenham area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Brettenham has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview