"BRETTENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Cosford, in the county of Suffolk, 6 miles to the S.W. of Stowmarket. Bildeston is its post town. It is situated on the small river Bret, a branch of the Stour, and is considered to be the site of Combretonium, a Roman station. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the yearly value of £377, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are some church lands, and some charities of trifling amount. Brettenham Hall is the principal seat."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Mary, Church Road, Church of England
- Churches in Brettenham:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Brettenham area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Brettenham has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.