"BRETTENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Cosford, in the county of Suffolk, 6 miles to the S.W. of Stowmarket. Bildeston is its post town. It is situated on the small river Bret, a branch of the Stour, and is considered to be the site of Combretonium, a Roman station. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the yearly value of £377, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There are some church lands, and some charities of trifling amount. Brettenham Hall is the principal seat."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)