"BROCKLEY, a parish in the hundred of Thingoe, in the county of Suffolk, 6 miles to the S. of Bury St. Edmund's. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £458, in the patronage of the Rev. W. Sprigge, incumbent. The tithes were commuted for an annual rent-charge of £463 in 1846, When a new rectory-house was built. The church, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient stone building, containing a fine painting of Christ and the Doctors in the Temple. The register is very ancient. The Baptists have a neat chapel. There is an endowment for a school, and several charities, amounting in the aggregate to about £50 per annum."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Brockley:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Brockley area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Brockley has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.