"BROCKLEY, a parish in the hundred of Thingoe, in the county of Suffolk, 6 miles to the S. of Bury St. Edmund's. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of the value of £458, in the patronage of the Rev. W. Sprigge, incumbent. The tithes were commuted for an annual rent-charge of £463 in 1846, When a new rectory-house was built. The church, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient stone building, containing a fine painting of Christ and the Doctors in the Temple. The register is very ancient. The Baptists have a neat chapel. There is an endowment for a school, and several charities, amounting in the aggregate to about £50 per annum."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Brockley:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Brockley area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Brockley has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview