"BROMESWELL, a parish in the hundred of Wilford, in the county of Suffolk, 2 miles to the N.E. of Woodbridge, and 4 S. from Wickham Market. It is situated on the banks of the river Deben, near the East Suffolk section of the Great Eastern railway, on which Woodbridge is a station. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Norwich, value £150, in the patronage of the Marquis of Bristol. The church, dedicated to St. Edmund, was repaired in 1844, when a new chancel was built, and was again redecorated in 1850. There is a handsome parsonage-house, built in 1845, and a new free school, erected in the following year. The parochial charities are worth £10 a year. The soil is extremely sandy, and a considerable portion of the parish is in heath."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)