"BRUISYARD, a parish in the hundred of Plomesgate, in the county of Suffolk, 3 miles to the N.E. of Framlingham. It is pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Aide, 4 miles from the Saxmundham station on the Great Eastern railway. A chantry, originally founded at Campsey by Maud de Lancaster, Countess of Ulster, was translated in 1354 to this place. About twelve years later it was converted into a nunnery, which flourished till the Dissolution, and was valued at £56. The site was given, in 1538, to Nicholas Hare, and is now the property of the Earl of Stradbroke, lord of the manor The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Norwich, worth £60, in the gift of the Earl of Stradbroke. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, and contains two monumental brasses. Bruisyard Hall is near the village."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Peter, Church Road, Church of England
- Churches in Bruisyard:
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Bruisyard area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- Details of the administrative areas of which Bruisyard has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Magic (Click + on map to view it)
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview