"BRUISYARD, a parish in the hundred of Plomesgate, in the county of Suffolk, 3 miles to the N.E. of Framlingham. It is pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Aide, 4 miles from the Saxmundham station on the Great Eastern railway. A chantry, originally founded at Campsey by Maud de Lancaster, Countess of Ulster, was translated in 1354 to this place. About twelve years later it was converted into a nunnery, which flourished till the Dissolution, and was valued at £56. The site was given, in 1538, to Nicholas Hare, and is now the property of the Earl of Stradbroke, lord of the manor The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Norwich, worth £60, in the gift of the Earl of Stradbroke. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, and contains two monumental brasses. Bruisyard Hall is near the village."
Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- Churches in Bruisyard: [an error occurred while processing this directive]
- Details of the administrative areas of which Bruisyard has been a part can be seen in Vision of Britain, which contains details of historic boundaries, and more about this place.